A woman has told how her brother went missing

A woman has told how her brother went missing in China for four years, as the country comes under growing scrutiny for its alleged torture and detention of Uighur Muslims.

Rayhan Asat’s brother Ekpar disappeared three weeks after returning to the northwestern province of Xinjiang after finishing his studies in New York in 2016.

“She couldn’t stop crying,” he told The Times. “Whether through her fear of the Chinese authorities monitoring the call, or my words that were hurting her, I don’t know. She said that if I wanted my father, my mother and my sister to live well and stay alive then I had to stop what I am doing. I said I would never stop my activities and was no longer a relative of anyone who would ask me to do so. It was the only answer I could give her, though it hurt us both.”

Mr Yalkun was unsurprised by the tactic behind the call, or the presence of a silent third party throughout the conversation. Since the start of Beijing’s renewed repression of the mostly Muslim Uighur population in Xinjiang in 2017, activists among the diaspora in Europe and North America have found themselves the targets of an intensifying campaign by the Chinese authorities to stifle dissent, involving threatening phone calls, emotional blackmail, texts and the recruitment of spies from within Uighur communities living abroad.

People doing sport had previously been exempted from using the face coverings across Spain.

But Mijas Town Hall has now said its Senda Litoral, based around a long boardwalk that connects existing paths and promenades and stretches across most of the municipality’s coastline, will be out of bounds to people practising sport unless they mask up.

On 19 June, at a routine press conference, Victoria’s deputy chief medical officer Annaliese van Diemen announced that seven cases had been linked to security guards working at the Stamford Plaza hotel in Melbourne, where travellers were held under Australia’s mandatory 14-day quarantine rule for international arrivals. The group were believed to have breached social distancing rules while socialising.

Andrews said the source of the transmission could have been as fleeting as sharing a cigarette lighter. He warned the country was facing a “wicked enemy”. Day by day the cases continued to rise, until there were dozens linked to two hotels.

Tensions in the region have flared after an air strike in Damascus on Monday – widely believed to have been carried out by Israel – killed five foreign fighters, including a member of Hezbollah.

With the powerful Iranian-backed Lebanese militia having vowed to respond to the Israeli killing of any of its members following the death of two of its fighters in the Syrian capital last August, Israel said it had boosted its military presence along its northern borders with Lebanon and Syria.